Hamilton Gardens is an award-winning destination located halfway between Auckland and Rotorua, Auckland and Waitomo, and 45 minutes from Hobbiton.
|The peak time for visitors to Hamilton Gardens is between 11am and 3pm on summer weekends and public holidays. During these busy times we recommend using the car parks accessed through Gate 2 off Cobham Drive (SH1). You may also experience delays within the Enclosed Gardens.|
We are only minutes from the centre of Hamilton on Cobham Drive SH1. Free parking is available through Gate 1 and Gate 2. We are also serviced by Hamilton Bus Route 29 - Hamilton Gardens. The bus stop is at the main Gate 1 carpark. Note: the last bus departs Hamilton Gardens at 2.44pm.
|Dogs are not permitted in the Enclosed Gardens or in Hamilton East Park Cemetery however they are allowed elsewhere on-lead. There is an off-lead dog exercise area near Gate 1 carpark (view map) Assistance dogs are always welcome throughout Hamilton Gardens.|
|Parking and entry to the Gardens is free.|
|We have a range of options to assist visitors with limited mobility. Please visit our accessibility page.|
|Victorian Flower Garden Display Houses||10:00am||5:00pm||4.00pm|
|Information Centre and Gift Shop||9:00am||5:00pm||5.00pm|
|Hamilton Gardens Cafe||9:00am||6:00pm||5.00pm|
The Information Centre and Gift Shop is closed on Christmas Day.
Winter hours begin when day-light savings ends.
Gates to access the overall Hamilton Gardens park area are locked at 9pm.
Information Centre and Gift Shop
Find out all you need to know about Hamilton Gardens and pick up a guide map for just $2 (in English or Mandarin). Our gift shop stocks Hamilton Gardens merchandise as well as souvenirs and homewares, specialising in quality New Zealand products for garden lovers.
You'll find a delicious range of preserves and salad dressings, made locally with ingredients sourced from our gardens.Try lemon curd made with lemons grown in the Concept Garden, or our traditional chunky Seville Orange Marmalade made with fruit grown in the Italian Renaissance Garden! Available stock may vary seasonally.
Our Information Centre and Gift Shop is located beside the entrance to our enclosed gardens. We accept payment by New Zealand currency cash, EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard, Alipay, and WeChat Pay.
Refund policy: Please choose your item carefully as we don’t provide refunds if you change your mind. Please keep your receipt as proof of purchase. If your goods are damaged, faulty or defective, please contact us as soon as possible.
Get the inside story...
Take a tour with one of our experienced volunteer guides who will share the secrets of Hamilton Gardens. This all-season tour takes 75 minutes and includes our most popular enclosed gardens. Discover the subtleties of each garden’s design that have been created over the last 30 years by Gardens’ Director Dr Peter Sergel.
Drop in for a guided tour at 11am every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. No booking required.
Book a guided tour
Pre-booked tours are available for groups of any size and can be arranged with 48 hours notice. Minimum two people. Phone (07) 958 5940 or email email@example.com
- Adults $20
- Child 6-14 years $13
- Children 5 and under are free of charge
Upcoming garden closures
Occasionally our themed gardens are temporarily closed for private events or maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Saturday 2 November 2019: Italian Renaissance Garden closed 1pm - 2.15pm
- Friday 8 November 2019: Japanese Garden of Contemplation closed 10am - 12pm
- Saturday 23 November 2019: Italian Renaissance Garden closed 3:45pm - 5pm
- Saturday 21 December 2019: Italian Renaissance Garden and English Flower Garden closed 2:45pm - 4pm
- Friday 3 January 2020: Amphitheatre and gallery of Italian Renaissance Garden closed 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Saturday 18 January 2020: Victorian Display House closed 2:45pm - 4pm
- Sunday 26 January 2020: Amphitheatre of Italian Renaissance Garden closed 12pm - 3pm
- Saturday 1 February 2020: Medici court of Italian Renaissance Garden closed 12:30pm - 1:45pm
- Saturday 1 February 2020: Italian Renaissance Garden closed 1:45pm - 3pm
- Sunday 2 February 2020: Mansfield Garden closed 2:15pm - 3:30pm
- Saturday 21 March 2020: Italian Renaissance Garden closed 3:30pm - 4.45pm
- Saturday 28 March 2020: Italian Renaissance Garden closed 2:45pm - 4pm
- Saturday 4 April 2020: Japanese Garden of Contemplation closed 2:15pm - 3:30pm
- Saturday 9 May 2020: English Flower Garden closed 1:45pm - 3pm
- Saturday 24 October 2020: Hammond Camellia Garden closed 12:45pm - 2pm
Hamilton Gardens is an ideal location for educational opportunities, from geometry in our Italian Renaissance Garden to Maaori history in our Te Parapara Garden.
Flying a kite or drone at Hamilton Gardens
Because we are on the flight path for the air ambulance the Hamilton Airport control tower has requirements for flying kites and drones at Hamilton Gardens.
Kites: Kites less than two metres in size can be flown under the tree line during daylight hours. Kites larger than two metres or to be flown above the tree line need permission from the control tower at Hamilton Airport. Call the air traffic control tower on 07 843 1876 at least one day in advance to inform air traffic control, and also on the day just before launching the kite, then again when flying is complete.
Drones: Drones require written permission from the control tower at Hamilton Airport. You can do this online through airshare.co.nz . This must be provided to Hamilton Gardens staff before approval will be given - to avoid conflict with a booking or photography shoot. For more information please visit the Hamilton City Council unmanned aircraft/drone webpage.