The legacy of the Hamilton Club

Thanks to a generous gift from members of the Hamilton Club, we will be constructing another events facility in the Hamilton Gardens. The open-sided pavilion will include basic kitchen facilities and be available to hire for a variety of private events.

The new venue will overlook the Mansfield tennis court - a fitting location as the Hamiton Club building was originally constructed in 1904, the same year as the Edwardian setting of the Mansfield Garden.

Design illustration of the Hamilton Club Pavilion
Design illustration of the Hamilton Club Pavilion

The facility has been sponsored from the donated proceeds of the sale of the Hamilton Club’s former home, a grand wooden building on Grantham Street with an Historic Places B classification. Purchased by Stark Property in 2016, it has been renamed Panama House and developed into a slick, modern co-working space.

But for more than one hundred years, it was a gentlemen's haven with a membership list that reads like a who’s who of Waikato businessmen.

Hamilton Club minutes book, 1898
The minutes book of the Hamilton Club, 1898

Declining membership in recent years lead to the Hamilton Club’s final president Gordon Chesterman overseeing its dissolution and distribution of assets. This financial legacy will ensure that the organisation's name lives on.

"It's a hugely worthwhile outcome," says Chesterman, "the club's legacy will benefit the city in so many ways."

Hamilton Club committee
Hamilton Club committee members, 2017. From left: David Mannering, Murray Day, Cliff Bindon, Judy Jones, Gordon Chesterman (president), Dennis Jones, and Mike Blake.