Last year more than a million people visited Hamilton Gardens. It’s the busiest tourist destination in the Waikato region!
With long days and warm weather, it’s no surprise that summer is the busiest period for visitors. Here's some tips on how to keep your cool when visiting Hamilton Gardens...
- Most people visit the Enclosed Gardens on summer weekends between 11am and 3pm. To avoid the crowds, come first thing in the day when the gardens are looking fresh. The Enclosed Gardens are open every day from 7.30am.
- There's a lot to see so make sure you stay hydrated while walking around. We have water fountains located in the Fern Court next to the Information Centre, in the Braithwaite Court next to the Huddleston airship, near to the Pond House at the Round Lawn in front of the Pavilion, and two fountains at the children's playground. Bring a reusable bottle and re-fill it anytime - tap water is safe to drink in New Zealand.
- The Hamilton Gardens cafe will have their ice cream truck ready and waiting for you. It's parked up at the Round Lawn next to Turtle Lake - look for the bean bags!
- If the sunshine took you by surprise, then head to the Information Centre first. You can get a dab of sunscreen from the free dispenser at the counter, and we sell a range of hats and umbrellas for shade.
- Insider info: The car park at Gate 1 is often full to the brim before the car park at Gate 2, located closest to the playground and Rogers Rose Garden.
- Live locally? Leave the car at home! Make the most of shared trails, cycle paths, and the Cobham Drive underpass which is accessed from Sillary Street in Hamilton East.
- Some garden areas may be temporarily closed for private events - this happens more frequently during summer when wedding ceremonies are popular.
- Share your photos online with hashtag #hamiltongardens on Facebook or Instagram. We love to see your pics!
One last tip: Grab a map for $2 so you can easily find your way between the 16 different themed gardens, plus the wider park. The visitor guide map is available in English and in Mandarin from the Information Centre. Entry to Hamilton Gardens is free and parking is free. All donations go towards the development of our gardens.