28 October 2021
The city’s playgrounds and public toilets will reopen now that Hamilton and parts of the Waikato has moved to step one of COVID-19 Alert Level 3 at 11.59pm Wednesday 27 October.
Step one of Alert Level 3 at Hamilton Gardens
- The Enclosed Gardens (themed gardens) remain closed to the public
- The wider parkland areas of the gardens are open
- The Hamilton Gardens playground and public toilets are open – excluding the public toilets in the Pavilion which remain closed
- Gates at the road entrances return to usual hours, opening at 6.15am and closing at 9pm
- Our Information Centre, Gift Shop, and Pavilion will remain closed
- Hamilton Gardens café will open on Saturday 10am – 3pm for coffee, cold drinks, and ice creams
Guidelines to keep safe at step one of Alert Level 3
- Up to 10 people per bubble from no more than two households
- Keep a two metre distance between yourself and other bubbles
- Scan the QR codes to keep a record of where you have been
- Wear your masks to protect our community
Hamilton City Council Chief Executive Lance Vervoort urged people to be cautious when gathering at the city’s playgrounds and parks.
“We’ve all been looking forward to reconnecting with our friends and whaanau after being apart the past few weeks. But please remember that we are still seeing cases of COVID-19 in our community, and we need to be careful.
“Wear a mask, use the QR codes and keep your distance when you’re out and about. The river paths and Hamilton Lake are places we’ve seen people getting a bit too close, so please remember to leave some space and help stop the spread of COVID.”
This is the first stage of Government’s three-part plan to ease Alert Level 3 restrictions across the region. Under the new guidelines, Hamiltonians are able to gather outdoors with one other household at a time, to a maximum of ten people. They can also travel further for recreation, access healthcare in person and early childhood centres will reopen.
Get more information here: www.covid19.govt.nz