Hamilton Gardens is the Waikato’s most visited attraction with approximately one million visitors each year.
Our site's history is very diverse; from pre-European Pa, British military post, Victorian rifle-range, netball courts and dog-dosing station. However, it is the transformation from a bleak rubbish dump covered in blackberries with seagulls circling over above in the 1960s that has intrigued visitors. With significant community support the Gardens is now an internationally award winning garden.
Take a guided tour and discover:
- How a community has helped transform a rubbish dump
- Where a Hollywood block buster was filmed in the Gardens
- Why our gardeners remove all the flowers from one garden
“The concept is, by far, the most exciting I have seen in my twenty year career as a researcher in the field of garden tourism. Hamilton could join the ranks of the five international destination gardens... this is because the vision, as stated, is indeed unique in the world and visually spectacular.” - Central Connecticut State University, World authority on Garden Tourism, Professor Richard Benfield
For group bookings please email our bookings team or call (07) 958 5940.
Adults $15 - Child 6-14 years $8 - Children 5 and under are free of charge
- Minimum of two people
- Guided tours take approximately 1 1/4 hours
- Group to guide ratio is approximately 12 people
- We can be flexible with tour times and can cater to tours with time constraints.
- All guided tour guests receive a 10% discount in the Hamilton Gardens Shop.
- Discounts are available for group bookings.
- Bus and car parking is free.
BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL
Bookings require 48 hours notice. All guided tours are unavailable on Christmas Day and Good Friday.
Phone: (07) 958 5940
Picnic baskets are available during your visit and can be enjoyed in any of the gardens. Please contact the Hamilton Gardens Cafe.
WAIKATO RIVER EXPLORER
Ask about adding a river cruise on the WaIkato River to your visit, or contact the Waikato River Explorer.